Monday, January 30, 2006

I'm in The Flintstones

I am suffering two afflictions. One, I am slowly becoming addicted to Tiger Balm. The herbal remedy designed for mosquito bites and muscle ache is regularly being applied to forehead, temple, cheek and nose. Or, the face.

It makes everything open up. Very nice.

My original supply came from my great mate Steph as a going-away present. It is only here, in Hampi (where mosquitos were invented) do I find myself experimenting so recklessly with the sweet-smelling stuff.

Hampi, despite being one of the most beautiful landscapes on earth is complete with a bunch of natural hazards. Walking around the endless piles of large boulders reminding me so much of The Flintstones, it is impossible to go more than an hour without stopping and going "no way, I'm on Mars." But this splendid gentle-on-the-eye land has problems lurking. This brings me to affliction number two: the mosquitos. As the sun sets I coat myself in an ineffective repellent cream. And every morning I inspect the new parts of my body suffering from throbbing red lumps.

The dogs. The dogs here try to tear each other apart and make horrific noises. They also fight on my bed. I sleep on a rooftop with an ineffectual mosquito net, mattress, pillow and Israeli girl, Chen, my travelling partner from Paradise Beach. Plus ten other people. It's a good set up. Cheap, for a start. But the dogs do like to tear each other apart next to my head when I am sleeping.

There are other things like lots of thorny bushes which make walking more treacherous than it should be, but I won't go into it.

The police here were unkind and sneaky enough to put up signs around the sleepiest and prettiest tourist village around about watching out for 'robbers'. Why this fear-mongering is necessary, I'm not sure. I guess it encourages the rickshaw trade. But people actually get spooked by this. It's silly.

So each evening I am lulled to sleep by the stars and the moon. And each morning the sun rises into my face and warms me out of bed.

The guesthouse I stay in has the feel of a kibbutz. Many Israelis around (good quality ones - no riff raff) and many days are spent sitting out on the lawn indulging in our particular interests. I listen to cds and write down the words and figure out the chords. Or I trade songs with others. Or I read. Or write. Ok, I think we all know how I like to spend my time by now. But I am surrounded by music, poi, yoga, meditation and workouts. It's an inspiring atmosphere.

Evenings are getting interesting. A lot of musicians kicking around. Jams every evening. My destiny becomes clearer by the day. I can sing, I can play, I can jam. Other people enjoy it. So why do I need to do anything else?

Also, girls also like watching music I discovered. But I am enjoying the platonic relationship I have with Chen and I am relishing just ignoring other female attention. Not giving a fuck is always satisfying and hilariously turns out to be more attractive to women.

And I think I made a decision. I think I will get a new visa and continue to travel India. I can afford to. I feel happy here and have time see so much more. I was actually thinking about flying to Bolivia to visit my friend Saskia and travel around. But then I remembered what people keep telling me - that it doesn't actually get better than India. Everywhere is more expensive and isn't India. And it would be so expensive to get there.

Apologies to anyone waiting for emails or any other correspondance. Especially my family. By the time I've finished writing this all out I'm out of patience and money for the day. But love to all.

And as for the blog, it will become less frequent now. Lack of time, increased irritation at computers and the general expense puts me off regular blogging, but I will try to post about once a week or so.

So, I go play some music.

No comments: